While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Friday, October 2, 2009

Baked Potato Soup


Okay so I posted this over on facebook, but I wanted to have it on my blog for safe keeping as well. Now my mind is churning for other possibilities of what I can do. I've got my wheels churning for how to improve another dish, I've loved to make, but it just isn't quite how I'd like it. But for your tasting pleasure try making this recipe... it is so GOOD!!!

6 large Red Potatoes
1 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup flour
2 cups of Chicken Broth
12 oz. Evaporated Milk
2 Tbsp Butter
1 1/2 tsp of Seasoning Salt (add more if you need to)
4 slices of Turkey Bacon
1/2 - 1 1/2 cups of cubed Turkey Ham
Green onions to garnish with
Steamed Broccoli to add on top

You can either use the oven or microwave to bake the 6 red potatoes that have been previously washed. When the potatoes are cooked set aside and let cool. (In the oven this could mean about 45 - 60 minutes with the oven at 450 degrees and in the microwave just squeeze in on the potato to test for doneness) Cut one potato in half and scoop out and slightly mash the insides, set aside. You'll need to dice up the rest of the potatoes that are left, and set aside.

While the potato cooks, get the rest of your ingredients ready and gathered. I boiled 2 cups of water in the kettle and then added about 2 tsp of granulated chicken bouillon, to make the broth. Dice up the onion and set aside. Cook up 4 - 5 slices of bacon (or less) I used a stone and baked them in the oven. But I also cooked a few pieces in the soup pot and removed. I then threw in the diced onion and cooked it in the bacon "grease" (turkey bacon doesn't make a lot so butter is needed to help saute the onions, but I'm sure you can use olive oil as well). Cook the onions till they are transparent, then add the 2 - 3 cloves of minced garlic to the onion. Cook just until you can start to smell the cooked garlic. Add the flour and mix into the onion and garlic. But don't let it get too browned (it will proably turn brown naturally because of the bacon being cooked in the pan first). Then slowly add the chicken broth and the evaporated milk. Add the smashed potato you set aside earlier and mix into the soup. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about 5 minutes add the diced potatoes and the cubed ham, if desired.
Mix into the soupy mixture and make sure all of the potatoes and ham get well coated. Cook till heated through all the way. Maybe 5 - 10 minutes. (could be longer though)
Cut up the bacon, or break apart into small little pieces. While all the soup is cooking, steam some broccoli if you desire to have it on top when you eat the soup. Cut up green onions and add to the top as a garnish, and the bacon that you have cut up as well. Serve Hot/Warm.

Makes about 4 - 6 servings (Depends on who's eating.) We have 2 adults and 5 kids, and some of the kids don't eat a lot.

I didn't come up with this solely on my own, I did find the basic recipe but tweaked a few things to make it my own. Hope you like it!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails