While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Time for change....

Well I've survived the first three days of school. I managed to get my children off to school on time and even early. I'm actually thinking that this year I'm trying to make a difference in my "mothering" duties. I'm not perfect at it by any means. And if you've had chance to know me on a more personal basis, you can probably agree with me. That being said, this year I have a few new goals. Probably common sense things for you, that you might not struggle with, but as for me and my house.... well we do. (Probably not my husband really, but definitely me and my kids)

So here are my new goals or rather "old ideas" that I'm trying to implement for ME:
To be able to wake up before 7:00am and get ready for the day, and get my children to school about 10-15 minutes early. Why? So that way they aren't tardy for school. I'm NOT a morning person, so this might prove to be quite hard. So I'm praying for extra strength from my Heavenly Father to accomplish this.

When doing a load of laundry, fold the clothes up as they come out of the dryer by using the tops of the two machines as my folding tables. Then promptly put them away. Why?? Because this will prevent some major piles of laundry forming in my living room. I have a pile right now, about 3 loads worth.

The kids aren't going to have major chores until Friday after school, and Saturday mornings.... unless they don't have homework some night during the week. I'll do the dishes (mainly the washing and letting them dry) once they are dry I'll have the kids put them away -- 5 minutes tops!! With 3-4 kids helping. Why? Because I stress myself out when I try to be THE PERFECT MOM!! By having them do all this and then having ALL the homework completed by ALL three girls (that I have to sign off, and check)

I want to make it a habit once again to make it to the temple at least once a week. Why? Because I live so close to one and not too far from another... I really have no excuse at all. Plus I seem to function better with frequent trips there.

CLUTTER/JUNK needs to R.I.P away from my house. So I'm on a mission to rid myself of all the JUNK that prevents me from keeping my home well kept and organized. So I feel it will become a bigger mess just to get it dejunked, but after that I should feel lots better. Why? Well, I think a family of my size functions best with things being well organized. Once upon a long time ago, like about 11 years or so, before I was married and had kids I had my things well organized. I kept it up slightly right after I married but got extremely sick with my first child, and all that changed. It's been piling up since then, so I'm going to purge and binge all this unneeded STUFF from my dwelling. (Side note: probably best done with girls at school. I should start in their room)

Scripture Reading has been something I've struggled with on and off for the last few years. I'm not quite sure why, but I guess it's one of those things I have as a weakness. I know I should, and that I need to, but for some reason have felt unable to get to the scripture reading. So in the mornings while eating breakfast, I'll make the time to read my scriptures, and then have to work a time into the day to do it on a family basis. Maybe we should do it right before or right after dinner. Hm mm? Need to think on that a little more.

So this is just a list of a few things, but I'm sure there are lots of other things I could work on as well. But for now, these are my priorities. Everyone often asks me "How I do it?" having five kids and all, but secretly and honestly I don't do it. I'm still trying to find things that work for me and my family. I just try to take care of the needs of my children, but I'm not perfect at it. I often get frustrated with them, but have to take a step back and realize that they are just little people that don't know how to do everything, and most of the time they are just trying to have fun.

I really shouldn't get mad at them, because they all play together well, and love to be with each mostly. And they invent things to do in order to have fun. Yes, they can be sassy, disobedient, and plain stubborn, but I just try to keep my ground, and let them know that what mom says needs to be done.

We live in an incredibly small house for our family. We only have three bedrooms. I share one with my husband and the two boys are in one room on bunk beds, and the three girls are in the other room. We only have one bathroom, and I have a desk, piano and entertainment center crammed into one room. I don't have a dishwasher that does them automatically, but I do have a dryer that finally works. My carpets are absolutely disgusting but we have to make do because we can't afford to replace it right now. We have debt, that we're trying to pay off, even being on reduced hours at work, and we're also trying to put together a food storage. I sometimes yell, and get mad. But shortly after say "I'm sorry". I get frustrated, and stressed trying to get things to go just perfectly and when they don't I can't take it. But I try to gather myself together again, and try to start fresh again. But nothing can replace the love that I feel for my children and husband despite all the arguments that take place. And my children feel me with such joy and happiness when I see them getting along, or I see them doing a chore without being asked, or I hear there thoughtfulness in the prayers that they offer. I'm just average, or slightly less then that... but I try my hardest even if I fall short a lot of the time.

So here's to my trying to make some lifestyle changes that will help me become a better mother and wife and all around better person.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails