While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Friday, February 27, 2009

My Roll Recipe

I've had a lot of people ask me about my recipe for rolls and decided since I didn't really use a recipe -- and really just did it from off the top of my head I'd try to share it in a "written" form, so here's my attempt at trying to share this most delicious recipe.

My rolls

I start with 2 cups of flour in a mixing bowl, and then add 2 Tablespoons of yeast (which equals about two packets if you are using those) and then I add either 1/2 cup of sugar or honey ( I alternate between batches, both taste good), 1/2 cup of oil, and then I add four cups of warm water. (Sometimes I even add about 1 cup of potato flakes and mix in also) Pour all of this into the mixing bowl and mix well. Let sit for about 20 minutes, and after the 20 minutes you can then add cups of flour to this mixture and mix into the rest of it. Keep adding flour until the dough starts to become a ball in the bowl and you could start kneeding the dough on the table. Pour some flour (a little at a time) on the table and place the ball of dough there, add flour still to the top of this ball and start kneading the dough. I have it down until I get the consistency I want, the dough will seem smooth and not to sticky. It usually takes about 5 - 7 minutes of kneading (maybe longer -- I haven't really timed it -- but now maybe I should). After it gets to the consistency that you could handle it enough to make rolls without getting your hands caked with bread dough then you proceed to shape the rolls ( It seriously takes practice-- so the more you do this the better you'll get)

This recipe makes a couple dozen rolls, my family goes through them fast. And you can always place in a ziplock bag or an old roll bag as airtight as possible and eat more later. Use within a few days though (freezing might work, but I've never needed to try). We seriously eat these SO FAST!!!

So after you shape the rolls let them sit for about 30 minutes to rise some more, and then when they have gotten bigger you can place them in your preheated oven which was set at (425) and then bake them for about 15 - 20 minutes but before you place them in your oven drizzle melted butter over the tops or not. Let them cool slightly before taking them out of the initial pan, after about 5 - 7 minutes than place them on a cooling rack, and when cooled completely store in a "bag" if needed. If you have questions just ask -- I might have forgotten to say something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails