While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Thursday, January 22, 2009

What's for dinner?

Ever wonder what's for dinner?? So do I. I've tried to do a menu thing in the past but never seemed to find a system that quite worked for me. So now, I'm plugging away at a new system and will see how this works for us. Granted I know things will change, and that's okay -- I take change well. Sometimes. But here is my plan.

I got this idea from my friend who in turn got it from this lady. Where has this been my whole life??? I'm finding myself starting to get an actual routine going, whereas before I didn't really have one. My kids are starting to get to bed at 8pm instead of just starting at 10pm because of whatever REASON!!! They aren't snacking as much because I am being more aware and actually have "scheduled" snacks in addition to mealtimes. I've been doing a lot of baking lately. So all the "bread" items listed below I make by hand, and from scratch. I've finally mastered a roll recipe that I LOVE!!!

My kids love it, my husband loves it,
and everybody cries for more!!
I now find myself trying to schedule the afternoon part of my day so that I can have dinner ready and on the table by 5pm (okay so sometimes it's more like 5:30) so that we can eat and the kids can help with chores, or finish homework, or PLAY if they get LUCKY!!! My main goal for this year is to become ORGANIZED. I was okay before I had a husband, and then the kids!! So now I'm trying to handle this whole household on my lacking knowledge and we've been suffering. But -- what I'm looking for is a MIRACLE by the end of this year. And it's more prudent now, because of the loss of hours which means less money. So I'll have to see if I can even work this plan on the limited funds that we'll get now. But .... at least this is a start.
So I know that a lot of my friends actually have themselves on top of everything, how do you "decide" what's for dinner. What works for you???

5 comments:

  1. deciding at noon what I making for dinner usually works for me. But if you found a roll recipe that works for you can I try it? I am always looking for a good roll recipe that works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea. I never know what to make, and i'd like to get into a routine before Aislin starts eating with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually plan a weekly menu when I am making out my shopping list but I only plan main dishes and always have to scramble to think of what to make for veggies and sides. I like that idea, I might actually serve something other than one pot meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy, you are awesome! :) I've been planning to get more organized in so many ways for years. I need to put some plans/routines into motion as well. We've been doing pretty well w/bedtime, but dinners are very rarely planned and many times involve a "kid" dinner with the addition of mom/dad eating leftovers of earlier meals later. I usually decide what we're eating about the time I need to start making it. :) I'm going to check out the schedule you've posted & see how we like it. I'm excited to hear it's working well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are awesome! I usually do a weekly plan as well with just main dishes and decide on the veggies at the store, not so exciting sometimes! Good work!

    ReplyDelete

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails