While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Thoughts on Sister in Laws....

I wrote all of this and then kind of went on a tangent, but this is truly what was in my heart and needed to be written as actual proof of these feelings.

*****************
I did it, I finished the darn set of books, that somehow seemed to suck me right in with everyone else that has "read" them already. Now I'm at a loss as to what I'm going to read next. But seeing as how I have been pretty much reading non-stop since before my vacation I think I just might wait till Wednesday to start something new. Only because I have a party that night at my house and I want to focus on getting ready for that.

But seriously I was not liking the first half of Breaking Dawn. But then all of a sudden I was pulled into it again and felt like there was really something to tell of the story. I really enjoyed the ending, and the tight family bond they shared.

I have often wondered what exactly it would be like to have such tight nit bonds that if faced with a difficult trial like the "Cullen's" endured would my childhood family be so close. Geesh !!
I don't quite see us being that close. At least not the younger ones. We're all on so many different levels of life, and spirituality, but I still don't see a family closeness that I'd always hoped would exist. Maybe I just need to give it some more time and let some of them mature some more. But hey, the youngest is already 18 and it isn't like they are kids or anything. Maybe it's just hard, because we don't all see each other very often. But whatever the reason, this is my wish that someday my family will be close and have great bonds with each other that when push comes to shove we can help each other out, and be there for one another.

I grew up in a family with a lot of sarcasm, which I admit, I dish out my own share. But I like to be sincere about things to, and there isn't any letting up coming from any of their directions. We weren't a touchy-feely kind of family ( giving hugs at our comings and goings) and that was hard to realize when I experienced my friends families doing this, and you could hear sincerity in their words they spoke.

I didn't realize until I married my husband, that families could be this close. Okay ( so yes, they might still have their little quirks, as we all do) but they genuinely seem to care about each other and interested in each others lives, their joys and sorrows. They get together fairly often ( which is probably only possible because the majority lives within an hour of each other) and share meals and let the kiddos play together. And when the gathering is over and even when we all arrive their are hugs going around and making sure that everyone feels welcomed. They have always treated me with kindness, and love and I feel like I've gained a few older sisters that I never had and a few newer younger ones too. I can go to them with questions, and my problems and they'll listen and offer comfort when needed, and be honest with me when it's needed. They help me out if at all possible when I'm in a pinch and need childcare for my kids. And they are great to let me just hang out with them. I LOVE IT!!! I can have intelligent conversation with them, and deep spiritual conversations, and feel refreshed after a visit with them. (Of course, my sister in law is included in this too!! Because we married brothers we often have a lot to talk about) I look up to them and the example that they have set before me and I'm thankful that they are a big part of my life now. I've only known them for the last 10 and half years but I feel as if I've known them my whole life. And to them I say "I love you" and "thank you for all your time". You don't know how much you mean to me, and how much I always wished for sisters like you.

That isn't to diminish my own sisters or brothers, but I grew up in a family being the oldest to marrying into a family and being one of the youngest. I'm sure with time, and a few more years there will be some great changes that will take place and might gell my family closer together, but in the meantime, I'm glad I have my new sisters.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've found such a great family to be part of. I'm close-ish with my family, but we live so far from them that we don't get to share the daily or monthly interactions. BUt I feel as you do - my sisters-in-law truly are my sisters. I don't have any of my own, and I love being able to call them and talk whenever.

    And speaking of family quirks, I've tagged you!! Come see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to look at our families of origin and then decide where we want to go with our own family. I hope my own children are closer than I am with my siblings.

    ReplyDelete

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails