While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Halloween costumes

Every Halloween I wonder what my children are going to be for Halloween -- I refuse to buy the costumes in the store that cost $$$ that I don't have. So every year I try to come up with ideas for my children to dress as that don't cost very much money.

So here is a list that I've made of costumes that didn't take a lot of time to come up with nor very much money. If it did cost some money I made sure that it was an item that could be reused!!

Halloween 1999 :Our daughter was 6 months old and crawling so I acquired a long sleeve turtleneck that was dark green, dark green sweat pants, and borrowed some dark green socks. I got a few pieces of felt that were varying shades of green, and with a bright dark green cut out a "turtle shell" shape, and did the same with a second piece. Used a hot glue gun to "sew" the edges together leaving a small opening to put in some stuffing for a turtle shell. I attached two pieces of elastic to the flat side to hold it on with for the arms. So she was a little turtle.



Halloween number 2- We had two little girls -- I managed to buy a "pumpkin" outfit at a thrift store for way cheap like $3.00 for my 18 month old daughter. I borrowed a costume from my sister in law a winnie the pooh outfit for my then 5 month old child


Halloween #3 with children I reused the pumpkin costume and made my two and half year old into Elmo, I bought a red hat and glued some pom poms to make eyes and an orange one for the nose. And just had her wear red clothes.




Halloween # 4 2002 I purchased some red fabric and made some red hooded capes for them and they were "little red riding hood", the baby-- we borrowed an outfit again --- She was a strawberry !!



Halloween 2003 With these costumes my dear sweet grandmother had sent the two on the left and then I found the one that is pink and white at the thrift store. We just bought hair wigs and used face paint.


Halloween 2004 We found white dresses that we had already or went to the thrift store and bought one of these, we bought three packagest that contained the wings, wands and a tiara -- but the tiaras kept falling off from their heads so we did without those.



Halloween 2005 I regret to say that I don't have the picture available right now but I made my three girls black capes and we let them wear pants and warm clothes underneath and bought them each witch hats and they were witches. I had a little guy that was about 9 months old and he was dressed in little boy camoflauge sweat pants and a shirt and went as a GI Joe !!

Halloween 2006 My oldest reused her cape and we painted her face to look like a bat queen (female version of dracula) My other two daughters were princesses - so we just found cute princess like dresses at the thrift store and then bought a few cheap accessories, like jewelery and a handbag and put on some glitter face paint. My son was a clown -- he wore the yellow costume with the colored stripes pictured above.

Halloween 2007

WELL WOULDN"T YOU LIKE TO KNOW!!!

BY THE WAY SO WOULD I !!!

We'll post pictures up after halloween -- we have ideas but need to get working on them.


1 comment:

  1. I love that turtle costume - such a creative idea for a crawling baby!

    ReplyDelete

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails