The service was great stories were shared about the type of man he was, how he enjoyed being with his family. Just everything I'd come to know and love about him being my GRANDPA!! I was doing okay until my Dad went up to share some of the "EULOGY" about what he was like as a dad, and such... I started losing the control of the tears then, but quickly dried them up and away. And then they had some time for random people to come up and share something about him. I of course, being the "WEIRDO" I am -- GOT UP!! That's right, I decided to get up, and share what he meant to me. What did I say?? Well I reflected about how I was grateful that I got to see him last November. Because that was the last time I got to see him alive. And while at the reception how Grandpa got up to dance and was totally being silly. I loved it. And that is the last MEMORY I have of him, and not one I'll soon forget either.
Once I started to sit back down, I met up to my Dad, who embraced me and gave me a hug, and then I lost it again. I really tried not to, because this was to be a "CELEBRATION OF HIS LIFE". Then they played the video -- (great job on putting it together by the way James and Des) -- I couldn't keep my eyes cleared enough to see all the pictures. But I'm glad that there was a picture of him with my grandma -- one I hope I can get a copy of, and soon!!
There was a get together with TONS OF FOOD!! And we had a great time visiting with family and being with them, all the while trying to keep my kids from falling into the pool because I wasn't willing to dive in after any of them.
My Uncle was a big help. I was able to eat (and take pictures) while I TRUSTED him,
- We now know how to access our spare tire, we knew where it was but didn't know how to use it if we needed to.
- That a spare can lose air, so check it as often as you check your regular tires.
- After having two tires replaced on the front of the van, we discovered we didn't have breaks to make it to Utah.
- My Uncle is very kind, and bought the breaks for us, and between him and David they replaced our breaks for us. Saving us about $150.00 in replacing them.
- So what we saved in hotel expenses we were able to put into new tires.
- And we broke down in front of his house, where the van could be fixed and we could let the kids hang out at his house still.
- We learned that if the two of us hadn't BOTH listened to the prompting we got and try to head home Sunday instead of attempting Monday ... well this would have all happened on Monday without a day to spare and not have Chris miss work again.
- We had some Mountain passes we would have need to use our brakes on, and if we didn't have the blessing of the ROCK, we'd never have known about the lack of brakes.
- Since the repairs were taking most of the day, we decided to wait till the next morning to leave.
- And with all the delays we experienced, made it so that my brother David showed up just within a minute of the tire POPPING. He was a big help, and he felt that he needed to come us also, and I'm glad that he listened to the prompting that he got.
We were truly blessed to have our lives and vehicle spared serious damage and I know it's because the Lord was watching out for us. I know that he loves me and my family, and that if we desire to do what he has asked us to do, we can all be entitled to these same kind of blessings and more.
And that takes me to part three of this trip....