While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Sunday, June 8, 2008

An experience with my daughter.

I've sat here and realized that my job as a mother is ONGOING!! I've always wanted to be a mom, but now that I've been one for NINE years, I'm not so sure what I've gotten myself into!! I want to be a good mom, someone who listens to my kids, and play with my kids, teach my kids, understand my kids - and the list goes on and on. So I've tried to be patient and try to understand but I find it very hard!! This morning could have been one of those days, but I listened to the spirit and decided to go with the flow rather than to quickly get IRATE!! So my 9 year old daughter didn't want to wake up, eat or get dressed for our 9am church. Chris went ahead with the other kids and I had the baby and the oldest. She refused, claimed that there was nothing to wear!!! ( Of course, as kids, we've all had those moments!!! REMEMBER??)

Well I had forgotten till the spirit whispered that I just needed to stay calm, (EVEN THOUGH I WAS LATE FOR CHURCH, and I WOULD HAVE BEEN ON TIME!!)

So I was completely ready and had Ethan ready - I grabbed the diaper bag, my scriptures and said I was going to be waiting in the car -- So HURRY up!! I did say it calmly and didn't get loud with her. I waited for 10 minutes in the car, No daughter yet. So I walked back in, and checked on her. Still not dressed, so I made sure that she remembered a few things, and said they same thing again. I'll be waiting in the car hurry up!! 10 minutes later I walked back into the house and she was coming out. She didn't have her hair brushed, but I wasn't going to battle that this time. I just wanted to get to church. So now I understand that it's time to "replenish" her church wardrobe again. So maybe this week I'll take them to DI ( Because I love the place) and find them all a "newer" outfit for church so that in the near future (aka in one week, next Sunday, seven days from now etc...) we don't go through the same thing again.

I remember those times as a child and how much it meant to me, when my mom or dad could figure me out and help solve the problem in the future. So I want to be sure and do the same things for my own children.

I know this sounds quite lame to be writing about, but if you know me at all, I normally OVERREACT and therefore cause the battle to go on and on and no one gets any peace and quiet. Someday, I hope that I can get out the door and not have to dress or find anything for my kids the morning of. SOMEDAY!!! I have hope that they will get to this point, although it will still be several years away. That's why I've been privileged to have these children -- I need to learn and acquire patients and they will definitely help me achieve it, -- like by the time they finally move out when they go to college. (MAYBE?? WHO KNOWS!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails