While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
~Angela Schwindt

Friday, December 21, 2007

Power Outage !!



I changed my font at pYzam.com



Last night we got hit with a storm front that brought some hail and snow to us. Well at the tail end of us eating our dinner -- the power had flickered. When that happened I said that we needed to light a candle just in case the power went out. So we lit a candle and within 10 minutes or less the power was disconnected or turned off or something like that. I still don't know why the power went out. But this was about 10 till 7:00pm last night. We then lit a second candle -- to finish eating our dinner with.

Ethan needed a diaper change and we had no lights !!! So I had to get one of the girls to hold a flashlight so I could change his bum, and it was a nasty one too!! YUCK!!! I also couldn't let him down because I would lose him in the dark really easily. So someone had to hold him until I put him to bed. The kids starting asking questions about Christ dying and it being dark for three days, and wondering if that would happen again. Well we started discussing and then Chris decided to read the scriptures by candlelight and recounted that story in the scriptures.

It was kind of neat to be like the "pioneers" and not have the modern day "electricity" to entertain us. We had to warn them to dress well for sleeping because, with the power not on our furnace wouldn't ignite either. The power ended up being off for 2 hours and 45 minutes about. And the kids were asleep by 9 pm or a little sooner --- and Chris and I were almost asleep around 9:30pm last night when the power came back on.

It came on and of course, we didn't go around checking for lights on or off because the power was off --- We knew that the power was back on because our bedroom light lit up and then we ended up getting out of bed and staying awake another couple of hours.

I think I'll have to find a way to "turn the power off" everynight so that my kids will go to bed earlier because there is "Nothing" to do. Luckily we had heat before too long. Now this just makes me feel so bad for the people in Oklahoma where they haven't had power for nearly 2 weeks.

I never realized how much I take living in this day and age for granted until something your able to use at the flip of a switch is no longer available.
How in the world did the pioneers cross the plains in the middle of winter?? I have a hard enough time just walking a block or two in this freezing weather -- let alone a couple of thousand miles.

All I can say is WOW, ---- Hope that I can be more fearless and brave in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like feedback.... so go ahead and leave me some comment love. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails